Here's the thing about writing…at least writing for publication…it's exciting and exhausting, invigorating and draining…amazing and overwhelming.
Here are 5 quick tips for Keeping the Writing Dream Alive when all you want to really do is throw in the towel, make some popcorn and binge on Downton Abbey*.
1) Admit you're overwhelmed. No one is going to think any worse of you. The first step to finding a solution to a problem is admitting there IS a problem, right?
2) Prioritize --What's the most important thing on your To Do list? (Hint: It's probably not spending time on Facebook or Pinterest or Downton Abbey.)
3) Spend fifteen minutes DOING your most pressing priority. Don't think about it, or worry about it, or talk about it….DO IT!
4) Don't try to be Superhuman. Ask for help. Pay for help. Barter for help. Make a deal with the devil if you're so inclined, but don't try to do everything yourself because when you do, you shortchange your priorities.
5) Don't forget why you started down this path. Have some fun with your characters or read something inspiring**. Make a mock-up of a book cover with your name on it, if it helps. Take a minute to focus on what's exciting and invigorating and amazing about the process. (I promise that all of your worries and concerns will still be waiting for you when you're done.)
Now go forth and keep your dream alive!!!
* I've never seen Downton Abbey, but I've heard a lot of people have binged on it.
** Check out this post from my amazing friend Kate Perry.
Tell me Killer Friends: How do YOU keep your dreams alive?